Dan has extensive trial and arbitration experience. He applies that experience, along with broad legal knowledge, business judgment and an appreciation of the costs and benefits of litigation to achieve the best outcomes for his clients. He has conducted trials, motions, appeals and arbitrations in disputes over shareholder oppression, joint ventures, failed real estate transactions, government procurement, the seizure of diplomatic and state property, construction projects, commercial leasing, product liability, estates and fraud. Dan has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and at various administrative tribunals.
A sample of Dan’s work includes:
• Successfully representing a large government contractor in arbitrations relating to tendering and RFP processes;
• Arbitrating the issue of misappropriation of approximately $13 million of missing artwork, and recovering over $12 million of that artwork by obtaining an Anton Piller order (a civil search warrant);
• Representing the majority shareholders of an aerospace company in oppression proceedings at arbitration and on appeal of the arbitral decision;
• Representing the majority shareholders of a large concrete company in a contentious shareholder dispute;
• Representing minority shareholders at trial in a dispute regarding an international joint venture;
• Representing vendors and purchasers of real property on a number of summary judgment motions and appeals relating to failed agreements of purchase and sale;
• Enforcing easements, rights of partition and sale, and other property rights;
• Obtaining and resisting motions for certificates of pending litigation on real property; and
• Obtaining and resisting motions for Mareva injunctions (asset freezing orders).
Dan is a member of the Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations and the Advocates Society. When he’s not working Dan is probably either parenting, playing some kind of sport or biking in the woods.
- Watson v. Lopes, CV-22-00690454-00ES
Successfully resisted a motion to preserve proceeds of sale in an estate dispute.
- Houston v. Houston, 2023 ONSC 3727
Successful application for partition and sale of cottage property complicated by a failed attempt at severance in the prior owner's will.
- Lamanna v. Kamra et al, 2021 ONSC
Successfully obtained direction for discharge and injunctive relief on behalf of a vulnerable mortgage borrower against her former real estate agent and his family mortgage company, and $30,000.00 in costs.
- Arista Homes v. Igbinedion, 2019 ONSC 7086
Successful summary judgment motion for breach of an agreement of purchase and sale for property.
- Craddock v. Progressive Air Group Ltd., 2019 ONSC 5997
Successfully resisted an attempt to set aside a commercial arbitration award in a shareholders dispute.