Dan is a partner at Stevenson Whelton with a diverse practice focused on commercial litigation. He has conducted trials, motions, appeals and arbitrations in disputes over shareholder oppression, joint ventures, failed real estate transactions, the seizure of diplomatic and state property, construction projects, fraud allegations and estates. Dan also acts on class actions. Dan has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and at various administrative tribunals.
Dan also has significant experience assisting family law counsel when family proceedings include civil or commercial disputes. Dan obtained the first known Anton Piller order in a matrimonial dispute in Ontario, and successfully recovered over $10 million of missing artwork.
A sample of Dan’s work includes:
- Successfully representing the majority shareholders of an aerospace company in oppression proceedings at arbitration and on appeal of the arbitral decision;
- Successfully arbitrating the issue of misappropriation of approximately $13 million of missing artwork, and recovering over $10 million of that artwork with an Anton Piller order (a civil search warrant);
- Successfully representing vendors and purchasers of real property on a number of summary judgment motions and appeals relating to failed agreements of purchase and sale;
- Successfully obtaining and resisting Mareva injunctions (asset freezing orders);
- Successfully representing a small business owner before the Human Rights Tribunal regarding allegations of harassment.
Dan is a member of the Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations and the Advocates Society. He is an avid hockey and tennis player, and he plays golf on occasion.
- Arista Homes v. Igbinedion, 2019 ONSC 7086
Successful summary judgment motion for breach of an agreement of purchase and sale for property.
- Craddock v. Progressive Air Group Ltd., 2019 ONSC 5997
Successfully resisted an attempt to set aside a commercial arbitration award in a shareholders dispute.
- Arista Homes v. Lakhany, 2019 ONSC 5189
Successful summary judgment motion for breach of an agreement of purchase and sale for property. Over $300,000 in damages awarded.
- Donis v. Paragon International Wealth Management Inc., 2018 ONSC 6921
Successfully resisted a motion for an international Mareva order to freeze assets.
- Cuervo-Lorens v. Carpenter, 2017 ONCA 109
Successfully resisted an appeal after obtaining summary judgment for breach of an agreement of purchase and sale of property.