Dan is a partner at Stevenson Whelton with a diverse practice focused on commercial litigation. He has conducted trials, motions, appeals and arbitrations in disputes over shareholder oppression, joint ventures, failed real estate transactions, the seizure of diplomatic and state property, construction projects, commercial leasing, employment, estates and fraud. Dan has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario and at various administrative tribunals.
A sample of Dan’s work includes:
- Arbitrating the issue of misappropriation of approximately $13 million of missing artwork, and recovering over $10 million of that artwork by obtaining an Anton Piller order (a civil search warrant);
- Representing the majority shareholders of an aerospace company in oppression proceedings at arbitration and on appeal of the arbitral decision;
- Representing the majority shareholders of a large concrete company in a contentious shareholder dispute;
- Representing minority shareholders at trial in a dispute regarding an international joint venture;
- Representing vendors and purchasers of real property on a number of summary judgment motions and appeals relating to failed agreements of purchase and sale;
- Enforcing easements, rights of partition and sale and other property rights;
- Obtaining and resisting Mareva injunctions (asset freezing orders);
- Representing a small business owner before the Human Rights Tribunal regarding allegations of harassment.
Dan is a member of the Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations and the Advocates Society. He is an avid hockey and tennis player, and he plays golf on occasion.
- Arista Homes v. Igbinedion, 2019 ONSC 7086
Successful summary judgment motion for breach of an agreement of purchase and sale for property.
- Craddock v. Progressive Air Group Ltd., 2019 ONSC 5997
Successfully resisted an attempt to set aside a commercial arbitration award in a shareholders dispute.
- Arista Homes v. Lakhany, 2019 ONSC 5189
Successful summary judgment motion for breach of an agreement of purchase and sale for property. Over $300,000 in damages awarded.
- Donis v. Paragon International Wealth Management Inc., 2018 ONSC 6921
Successfully resisted a motion for an international Mareva order to freeze assets.
- Cuervo-Lorens v. Carpenter, 2017 ONCA 109
Successfully resisted an appeal after obtaining summary judgment for breach of an agreement of purchase and sale of property.