- Contact Details
email@example.com Phone 647.245.2584 Fax 416.599.7910 Office Toronto Assistant
- Areas of Practice
- Bar Admissions
- University of Toronto Faculty of LawJ.D.
- McGill UniversityB.A. Honours
- To Surveil and Predict: A Human Rights Analysis of Algorithmic Policing in CanadaInternational Human Rights Program and Citizen Lab (University of Toronto)2020
- A Long Struggle for Justice: Reflections on the Nevsun hearing at the Supreme CourtInternational Human Rights ProgramFebruary 1, 2019
- No Life for a Child: A Roadmap to End Immigration Detention of Children and Family SeparationInternational Human Rights Program2016
Yolanda articled with Stevenson Whelton LLP in 2017 and joined the firm as an associate in 2019. She maintains a broad civil litigation practice that includes commercial and contractual disputes, medical malpractice litigation, and general administrative and constitutional litigation. Yolanda’s practice also includes civil litigation against police and prisons for rights abuses.
Yolanda graduated from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, where she previously served as a case worker at the employment division of Downtown Legal Services. Her past experience includes working as a research associate at the University of Toronto’s International Human Rights Program, where she co-wrote a report on immigration detention and appeared as co-counsel in the IHRP’s intervention at the Supreme Court of Canada in Nevsun Resources Ltd. v. Gize Yebeyo Araya. She recently co-authored a report on the human rights and constitutional implications of algorithmic policing technologies in Canada.
- Di Cienzo v. Ontario, 2020 ONSC 4347
Successful constitutional challenge to driver licensing regulations barring monocular (one-eyed) drivers from being considered for a license to drive a bus, brought under s. 15 of the Charter (equality rights).
- Lin v. Brookfield Homes (Ontario) Limited, 2019 ONCA 706
Successfully acted on an appeal concerning a failed real estate closing and the disclosure provisions of the Condominium Act.