- Contact Details
- Areas of Practice
- Northern Ireland1984
- Trinity College Faculty of LawM.A.1982
- Osgoode Hall Law SchoolLL.M.1983
- Ontario Bar AssociationMember
- American Bar AssociationMember
- American Association for JusticeMember
- Advocates' SocietyMember
- Toronto Commercial Arbitration SocietyMember
- ADR Institute of OntarioMember
Honours & Awards
- Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Civil Litigation
- Potholes and Legal ActionsOBA ConferenceMay 17, 2016
- Arbitral Awards: Appeals, Setting Aside and EnforcementApril 5, 2016
- Negotiation Strategies at a Commercial MediationApril 5, 2016
- Ethics and Negotiation in a Franchise Dispute13th Annual OBA Franchise Law DayNovember 19, 2013
- Damages and Other Monetary Awards in Class ProceedingsLSUC ConferenceMarch 27, 2012
- Ethics and Settlement: Let Right PrevailNovember 17, 2011
- Class Actions: Baby Steps Towards National CoordinationNovember 1, 2011
- Reforming The Law of Cross Border Litigation
- Trial Tactics and TechniquesOBA ConferenceApril 9, 2010
- Understanding Cost Implications Should You LoseFebruary 26, 2010
- Duty Calls: The New Role of Experts in the Ontario Civil Justice SystemOBA ConferenceFebruary 8, 2010
- Maple Leaf Case Study: An Example of Crisis Management
- How to Minimize Liability Exposure to Class Action Lawsuits or Third Party ClaimsBILD ConferenceFebruary 11, 2009
- Class Actions and Judicial Conflict
- Improving Your Odds of Success in Certification Motions in OntarioCanadian InstituteAugust 11, 2006
Colin has been a certified specialist in civil litigation since 2000 and has experience in basically every facet of that field. These days he spends most of his time in ADR real estate and construction related litigation, commercial litigation, fraud litigation, employment litigation, class actions and international law.
In 2015 Colin launched his complementary practice as a mediator and arbitrator with a view to resolving disputes efficiently, expeditiously and economically.
Colin is the President of the Ontario Bar Association (OBA). He is the former Chair of the Civil Litigation executive of the OBA. He is also a member of the ABA, the American Association for Justice, the Advocates Society, and has the Q.Arb. designation from the ADR Institute of Ontario. In 2019 he took the Harvard mediation course. In October 2019 he was appointed an interim Adjudicator under the Construction Act.
Colin obtained his first law degree from Trinity College, Dublin in 1982 and his LL.M., primarily in the field of environmental law, from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1983. Returning to Ireland in 1983, he taught law (numerous subjects) at University College, Cork (U.C.C.) until 1986. During that time, however, he returned to Osgoode Hall Law School as a visiting professor (teaching property and municipal law) for the fall semester in 1985. Colin moved permanently to Canada in 1986 where he practiced administrative law with Goodman & Goodman for a year.
Upon his call to the Ontario Bar in 1988 he preferred to practise commercial litigation and joined Teplitsky, Colson, where he stayed for some 15 years, before starting his own litigation boutique-which is now called Stevenson Whelton LLP (SW). SW now has 10 lawyers in four locations.
- Popack v. Lipszyc, 2016 ONCA 135
Successfully opposed a challenge to an international arbitral award
- Blind Spot Holdings Ltd. v. Decast Holdings Inc., 2014 ONSC 1760
Obtained a stay of oppression proceedings under Arbitration Act in shareholder dispute. Proceeding continued in private arbitration.
- Biskey v. Chatham-Kent (Municipality), 2012 ONCA 802
Successfully appealed a trial finding of municipal liability for fill conditions on a building site.
- Paudash Shores Cottagers Association v. Ontario (Ministry of Natural Resources), 2012 ONSC 2839
Successfully challenged the issuance of a pit permit by the ministry of natural resources through judicial review. Compiled historical evidence of the use of the property in question to establish that the pit was not a legal non-conforming use.